MUGS



I use industrial processes such as slip casting to promote a notion of efficiency and usefulness. My interest is in the democracy industry offers for distributing quality useful things to a greater public while still being economically sustainable. Ideas of production and industry are emphasized as an honest reflection of utility and contemporary society.


Unlike industry, which attempts to erase all evidence of manufacture in the finished object, I highlight these moments of process like gesture in the handmade. In mass-production the goal is to control the product, and strive for uniformity. My work embraces imperfection while still using some of the language of industry. In this way the pots I make are attempting to combine opposing values harmoniously. My hope is that the contradictory values associated with these various processes live as questions within the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment